Kansas CPA Exam Requirements
|150 Semester Hours Required to Sit for the Exam?||Yes|
|Minimum Degree Required:||Baccalaureate|
Additional Educational Requirements
- 30 semester hours in accounting and
- 42 hours in business and general education courses and
- 11 semester hours in written and oral communications
Note:Baccalaureate with 150 semester hours.
|U.S. Citizenship Required:||No|
|Applicant must be a resident, employee, OR have office in the state?||Yes|
To sit for the CPA exam as a first-time four-part candidate in Kansas, follow these steps: Before applying for the exam, evaluate your current credentials. You must be a resident of Kansas, have a place of business in Kansas as a public accountant or be employed full-time in a public accounting firm in the state. You will also need:
1. A Bachelor's degree, or higher, from a Board-recognized college or university with 150 hours of college-level credit, and
2. 30 hours in accounting to include financial accounting, managerial accounting (beyond introductory level), auditing, income tax, accounting information systems (beyond an introductory computer course), and
3. 42 hours in business and general education courses to include macro- and micro-economics plus one upper-division economics course, at least two courses in legal aspects of business or business law, higher level college algebra, statistics and probability, computer systems and applications, finance, management and administration, marketing, production, operations research or applications of quantitative techniques to business problems, and
4. 11 hours in written and oral communications.
If you meet the educational requirements, submit your application to the CPA Examination Services Kansas Coordinator in Nashville, Tennessee. The application fee will be $145 and the exam fees will be $729.08 for a total of $874.08. Allow up to two weeks after receipt of application, fees and transcripts for processing. You are able to apply for one or more sections of the exam at a time; however, you are advised to only apply for a section of the examination if you are ready to take it within the next six months. Your name on the application should exactly match your name on your primary form of identification, which is usually your driver's license. At this time you should also begin planning your study approach by making inquiries into CPA reviews available in your area. The Becker CPA Review offers classes live, online or self-study to accommodate the needs of all candidates.
Contact any educational institutions attended and request that transcripts be forwarded to CPA Examination Services for their evaluation. If you do not expect any problems in processing your application it is best to make plans to start your review at this time. The Becker CPA Review will significantly increase your chances of passing the exam.
After receiving the required information, the State Board will issue your Authorization to Test (ATT) to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). You will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) which is good for six months; however, since every third is non-testing, the NTS covers four testing months.
Your NTS allows you to start scheduling your exams. You can sit for the exam parts in any sequence so you can plan your reviews to coincide with your exam scheduling. The most efficient approach is to sit for two parts in each exam window; however, exam fees paid for parts not taken are not refundable. Exam times are scheduled with Prometric and can be set up online at www.prometric.com/cpa. You can take the exam at a site in Hays, Overland Park, Topeka, Wichita, or any other Prometric location that is convenient to you.
Exam Process Links
Kansas CPA Exam Requirements exam fees
|Initial Application Fee:||$145|
Special Fees: Re-exam registration fee (varying amounts based on number of parts). Candidates are permitted to apply for the exam up to 8 weeks prior to completing their education.
Kansas CPA Exam Requirements state board contacts
Kansas Board of Accountancy
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson, Suite 556
Topeka, KS 66612-1239