Louisiana CPA Exam Requirements
|150 Semester Hours Required to Sit for the Exam?||No|
|Minimum Degree Required:||Baccalaureate|
Additional Educational Requirements
- An accounting concentration of 24 semester hours at the undergraduate level or 21 semester hours at the graduate level and
- 24 semester hours of business courses other than accounting including Commercial Law as it affects accountancy
- Louisiana specifies the courses included in the 24 hours of accounting with only 6 hours of electives allowed.
Need 150 hours to be granted licensure, but do not need 150 to sit for exam. First-time candidates must have maintained continuous residency for 120 days within one year preceding the examination.
|U.S. Citizenship Required:||No|
|Applicant must be a resident, employee, OR have office in the state?||Yes|
To sit for the CPA exam as a first-time four-part candidate in Louisiana, follow these steps: Before applying for the exam, evaluate your current credentials. You must have been a continuous resident of Louisiana for 120 days within one year of applying and you will need:
1. A Bachelor's degree, or higher, from an academic institution recognized by the Board; and
2. 24 hours in business courses other than accounting with at least 3 hours in commercial law as it affects accounting, and
3. 24 undergraduate hours of accounting above the introductory level, or
4. 21 graduate hours of accounting with 6 hours in Intermediate, and 3 hours Cost Accounting, Income Tax accounting Auditing and either advanced financial accounting, not-for-profit accounting or accounting theory, and 6 hours in accounting electives above the introductory level.
If you meet the educational requirements, submit your application to the CPA Examination Services Louisiana Coordinator in Nashville, Tennessee. The application fee will be $150 and the exam fees will be $734.10 for a total of $884.10. Allow up to two weeks after receipt of application, fees and transcripts for processing. You are able to apply for one or more sections of the exam at a time; however, you are advised to only apply for a section of the examination if you are ready to take it within the next six months. Your name on the application should exactly match your name on your primary form of identification, which is usually your driver's license. At this time you should also begin planning your study approach by making inquiries into CPA reviews available in your area. The Becker CPA Review offers classes live or online to accommodate the needs of all candidates.
Contact any educational institutions attended and request that transcripts be forwarded to CPA Examination Services for their evaluation. If you do not expect any problems in processing your application it is best to make plans to start your review at this time. The Becker CPA Review will significantly increase your chances of passing the exam.
After receiving the required information, CPA Examination Services will issue your Authorization to Test (ATT) to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). You will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) which is good for nine months; however, since every third is non-testing, the NTS covers six testing months.
Your NTS allows you to start scheduling your exams. You can sit for the exam parts in any sequence so you can plan your reviews to coincide with your exam scheduling. The most efficient approach is to sit for two parts in each exam window; however, exam fees paid for parts not taken are not refundable. Exam times are scheduled with Prometric and can be set up online at www.prometric.com/cpa. You can take the exam at a site in Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Bossier City, Metairie, or any other Prometric location that is convenient to you.
Exam Process Links
Louisiana CPA Exam Requirements exam fees
|Initial Application Fee:||$150|
Special Fees: All first-time applicants are required to pay both an application fee and an exam fee. All re-examination candidates are required to pay a $75 registration fee per section and an exam fee.
Louisiana CPA Exam Requirements state board contacts
State Board of CPAs of Louisiana
601 Poydras Street, Suite 1770
New Orleans, LA 70130