Utah CPA Exam Requirements
|150 Semester Hours Required to Sit for the Exam?||No|
|Minimum Degree Required:||Baccalaureate|
Additional Educational Requirements
- Licensure requires a baccalaureate or graduate degree with 150 semester hours which includes minimum hourly combinations in upper and graduate accounting and business related courses
Note:Need 150 hours to be granted license but candidates may sit for the exam with 135 hours.
|U.S. Citizenship Required:||No|
|Applicant must be a resident, employee, OR have office in the state?||No|
To sit for the CPA exam as a first-time four-part candidate in Utah, follow these steps: You will need 135 semester hours including the degree and course requirements listed below:
1. A graduate degree in accounting from an accredited institution approved by the State Board, or
2. A graduate degree in Taxation or an MBA degree with at least 24 hours of upper-division or 15 hours of graduate level accounting courses covering financial accounting, management accounting, auditing and taxation (one graduate hour is the equivalent of 1.6 upper-division undergraduate hours), or
3. A Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting and 30 hours beyond the baccalaureate requirements which includes 16 upper-division, or 8 graduate, hours in accounting courses covering the subject areas listed in #2 above, 12 hours in upper-division non-accounting business courses, 12 hours in graduate level business or accounting courses, and 10 hours of either upper-division accounting or business courses, or
4. A Bachelor’s, or higher, degree from an accredited institution with at least 30 hours in business or related courses ( a minimum of 2 hours in business law, computers, economics, ethics, finance, statistics and quantitative methods, written and oral communications, and general business administration), 24 hours in upper division accounting (a minimum of 2 hours in auditing, finance, taxes, cost accounting and systems), and 30 hours beyond the requirements of a Bachelor’s degree of additional business-related course work to include 8 hours in graduate accounting courses, 12 hours in graduate accounting or business courses (10 hours of additional business-related courses shall be taken in upper-division undergraduate or graduate level courses).
If you meet the educational requirements, submit your application to the CPA Examination Services Utah Coordinator in Nashville, Tennessee. The application fee will be $145 and the exam fees will be $734.10 for a total of $879.10. Allow up to two weeks after receipt of application, fees and transcripts for processing. You are able to apply for one or more sections of the exam at a time; however, you are advised to only apply for a section of the examination if you are ready to take it within the next six months. Your name on the application should exactly match your name on your primary form of identification, which is usually your driver’s license. At this time you should also begin planning your study approach by making inquiries into CPA reviews available in your area. The Becker CPA Review offers classes live or online to accommodate the needs of all candidates.
Contact any educational institutions attended and request that transcripts be forwarded to CPA Examination Services for their evaluation. If you do not expect any problems in processing your application it is best to make plans to start your review at this time. The Becker CPA Review will significantly increase your chances of passing the exam.
After receiving the required information, CPA Examination Services will issue your Authorization to Test (ATT) to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). You will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) which is good for six months; however, since every third is non-testing, the NTS covers four testing months.
Your NTS allows you to start scheduling your exams. You can sit for the exam parts in any sequence so you can plan your reviews to coincide with your exam scheduling. The most efficient approach is to sit for two parts in each exam window; however, exam fees paid for parts not taken are not refundable. Exam times are scheduled with Prometric and can be set up online at www.prometric.com/cpa. You can take the exam at a site in Lindon, Saint George, Salt Lake City, Taylorsville, or any other Prometric location that is convenient to you.
Exam Process Links
Utah CPA Exam Requirements exam fees
|Initial Application Fee:||$145|
Special Fees: Re-exam registration fee (varying amounts based on number of parts)
Utah CPA Exam Requirements state board contacts
Utah Board of Accountancy
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741