Through real-world examples and case studies, you will examine and learn specifically about FASB
ASC 810. This course focuses on the testing utilized to determine if an organization qualifies as a variable interest entity. At the conclusion of this session you will be able to:
- Identify whether the holders of the total equity investment at risk have the ability to make decisions or direct the activities of the entity
- Recognize whether the holders of the equity investment at risk have an obligation to absorb the entity's expected losses or a right to receive the entity's expected residual results
- Recognize when the voting rights of some of the equity investors are not proportional to the economic interests
- Name the anti-abuse provisions of ASC 810
- Identify whether a variable interest is also held by either related parties, de facto agents, or de facto principals and whether combination of the variable interests in the VIE constitute primary beneficiary status
- Identify whether the reporting entity is the member of the related party group most closely associated with the VIE
- Define primary beneficiary and recognize whether the company is the primary beneficiary
- Identify whether an entity has a significant variable interest in a VIE even when not the primary beneficiary and recognize proper disclosure requirements for VIEs
- Disclosure requirements for public companies.
Tim Gearty is the National Director and Editor-in-Chief for the world’s largest CPA training program, Becker CPA Review. In addition to his editorial leadership, Tim is also Becker's National Lead Instructor, whose taped lectures are seen in over 325 locations throughout the world. Tim is a nationally recognized expert and speaker on a variety of accounting and tax topics, and has appeared as keynote speaker for several Fortune 100 companies as well as many national associations. He has frequently been called upon over the past twenty years to present accounting and tax topics to large groups, organizations, and corporations, accounting firms and in legal proceedings. Tim is a partner in Gearty & McIntyre, LLP, CPA, a firm which has developed a reputation as a specialist in business advisory services, litigation support and forensic accounting. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Society of Public Accountants as well as a trustee of that organization. He holds a BS in Accounting from Fairleigh Dickinson University, and both a MBA in Finance and Law Degree (JD) from Seton Hall University. Tim is a member of the New Jersey and American Bar Associations.
Becker Professional Education Sponsor I.D. Numbers NASBA: 107294, New York: 002087, New Jersey: 20CE00226700, Texas: 009580, Ohio: CPE.186, Illinois 158.002405, Pennsylvania: PX177823