Public concerns regarding the financial integrity of not-for-profit organizations is a common issue among many who contribute to not-for-profit organizations as well as those who receive their services, govern them or are responsible for their audit. At the conclusion of this session you will be able to:
- Recognize the significance of rational business behavior in not-for-profit settings.
- Describe the tools that managers, funding partners and service recipients might used to evaluate operating effectiveness.
- Describe the basic features of not-for-profit accounting and reporting including required financial statements.
- Identify and calculate stability ratios used to evaluate the ability of a not-for-profit organization to sustain itself.
- Identify and calculate efficiency ratios used to evaluate the cost effectiveness of the not-for-profit organization in carrying out its mission over time.
John Lord, CPA, is the State of California’s Regional Lead Faculty for Becker Professional Education. In addition to teaching live CPA classes primarily in the San Francisco, California area, John is responsible for helping to recruit, train, and develop CPA instructors throughout the State. During his almost 16 years with Becker, John has become one of the organization's most popular and effective instructors - nationwide. His expertise on the exam, commitment to his students, and real world experience are all qualities his students cite as keys to their own success on the CPA exam. John is also an Adjunct Professor at Golden Gate University in San Francisco, CA as well as a national instructor for Becker’s Continuing Professional Education focusing on governmental accounting and auditing topics. For nearly 23 years, John has also served as a Senior Audit Manager for the Government Accountability Office which is the audit, evaluation, and investigative arm of the U.S. Congress. In his capacity with the GAO, John has led audits of the Bureau of Public Debt and IRS. He has also led work with the GAO reviewing the accounting and auditing standards setting process in the United States where he was actively involved with the Auditing Standards Board and Financial Accounting Standards Board. John holds a Bachelors of Science Degree from the California State University in Hayward, California and is an active U.S. Certified Public Accountant (California) and a former President of the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting.
Becker Professional Education Sponsor I.D. Numbers NASBA: 107294, New York: 002087, New Jersey: 20CE00226700, Texas: 009580, Ohio: CPE.186, Illinois 158.002405, Pennsylvania: PX177823