After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Identify the impact of recent federal tax laws on states, including the Paycheck Protection Program, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, and the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Understand the concept of state conformity to federal tax law.
- Understand the tax incentives offered by opportunity zones under the TCJA and state responses to opportunity zones.
- Identify the impact of the Supreme Court’s decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. (2018) on state sales tax rules.
- Understand the market-based sourcing rule, and state trends related to the rule.
- Understand the effect of the legalization of marijuana on state tax revenues.
- Identify trends related to digital taxation of goods and services.
Tim Gearty is the National Director and Editor-in-Chief for the world’s largest CPA training program, Becker CPA Review. In addition to his editorial leadership, Tim is also Becker's National Lead Instructor, whose taped lectures are seen in over 325 locations throughout the world. Tim is a nationally recognized expert and speaker on a variety of accounting and tax topics, and has appeared as keynote speaker for several Fortune 100 companies as well as many national associations. He has frequently been called upon over the past twenty years to present accounting and tax topics to large groups, organizations, and corporations, accounting firms and in legal proceedings. Tim is a partner in Gearty & McIntyre, LLP, CPA, a firm which has developed a reputation as a specialist in business advisory services, litigation support and forensic accounting. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Society of Public Accountants as well as a trustee of that organization. He holds a BS in Accounting from Fairleigh Dickinson University, and both a MBA in Finance and Law Degree (JD) from Seton Hall University. Tim is a member of the New Jersey and American Bar Associations.
Becker Professional Education Sponsor I.D. Numbers NASBA: 107294, New York: 002087, New Jersey: 20CE00226700, Texas: 009580, Ohio: CPE.186, Illinois 158.002405, Pennsylvania: PX177823