Important notice from Becker regarding COVID-19
The health and safety of our Becker Professional Education community – students, colleagues, faculty and the areas we live – are of paramount importance to us. We have been monitoring the COVID-19 situation very closely and like you, we are seeing the impact of this virus on people, organizations and communities around the world.
During this evolving health situation, Becker is taking precautions to lower the risk of exposure to COVID-19 and do our part to curb the spread of the virus. Our team will continue to update this site as new or updated information is made available. Additional notifications may be shared with our colleague and student communities via other communication channels, such as our Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, as well as email.
1. What is COVID-19?
COVID-19, commonly known as a coronavirus, is a virus identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in China. For additional information visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website.
2. What are the symptoms?
According to the World Health Organization, common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. The CDC believes that symptoms may appear in as few as two days or up to 14 days after exposure.
3. What precautions is Becker taking to prevent members of its student, customer and instructor community from exposure to COVID-19?
Becker is taking precautions to lower the risk of exposure and do our part to curb the spread of the virus. We are in close communication with the academic institutions at which our CPA Exam Review Live cohorts participate. Based on their decisions regarding on-site instruction, we will work to proactively shift your registration to a live-online Becker course section. As these changes are made, we will email you important instructions, as well as make every effort to reach you by phone. We have live-online capabilities, with new sessions available starting April 8, 2020.
4. Does Becker have any information on Prometric testing sites?
Yes. Effective March 17, all Prometric testing sites in the US and Canada will be closed for 30 days. We encourage our students to regularly visit the Prometric website for detailed information regarding their response to COVID-19.
Additionally, NASBA has recommended that the Boards of Accountancy extend all NTS with expirations between April 1 - June 30 to September 30. For more information and updates, please visit the NASBA website.
5. What precautions should all students take to understand their risk of exposure?
Precautions can be taken to minimize your risk and prevent exposure and spread of the disease. The CDC has published a medical decision-making tool that you can use to understand your risk and which gives guidance based on risk.
It is important that we work together to take common sense precautions that can reduce the risk of catching or spreading COVID-19.
Per CDC guidelines:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and frequently disinfect common work surfaces.
- If you or a family member develops a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as a cough or shortness of breath, or are experiencing cold- or flu-like symptoms, work with to alert appropriate contacts and practice social distancing.
- Follow all CDC travel guidelines.
6. I think my 24-month access period to my Becker CPA Exam Review materials is going to expire soon. What do I do?
If you have questions about your access license to our self-study course materials, please contact our student support team at 1.800.868.3900.
7. I may have to miss my next Flex Pay payment due to the COVID-19 circumstances. What should I do?
If you have questions concerning your Flex Pay payment plan, please contact our student support services at 1-800-868-3900.
8. Does Becker have any resources for accounting professionals to help understand and process business implications of the COVID-19 pandemic?
Yes. In light of the drastic changes surrounding COVID-19, Becker has hand-curated a special package of our most timely and relevant on demand courses to help you navigate your current work situation while boosting your accounting and business acumen. Topics in this bundle range from managing remote teams to technical guidance around tax changes.
These courses will be available for free until June 30, 2020. You can sign up here.
Should you need additional assistance, please contact our Student Support team at 1.800.868.3900.