Oklahoma CPA requirements
Wondering how to become a CPA in Oklahoma? Your first step should always be to check the Oklahoma CPA requirements, because the Oklahoma Board of Accountancy will ultimately license you. This page serves as a resource for Oklahoma CPA and CPE requirements. Always consult with your state or jurisdiction's board of accountancy for the most current information.
CPA Exam requirements in Oklahoma
Getting a CPA in each state mandates different requirements for taking the CPA Exam. In order to be eligible for the CPA Exam, the state requires candidates to meet certain CPA Exam requirements in Oklahoma.
Minimum education requirement
All CPA Exam candidates in Oklahoma must have a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. In order to meet the CPA Exam requirements in Oklahoma, candidates are required to complete 150 semester hours or 225 quarter hours in various course subjects, including:
- 150 semester hours including:
- Minimum of 76 hours of upper-level division course credit
- Minimum of 30 hours of upper-level accounting courses including at least one course in auditing or assurance
- Auditing or assurance course must have a concentration on external auditing standards including but not limited to statements on auditing standards (SAS) (internal auditing does not meet this requirement)
- Minimum of 9 semester hours of upper-level division related course credit in any or all of the subjects of:
- Business management
- Business law
- Business communication
- Risk management
- Financial information systems
- Computer science
Oklahoma CPA license requirements
In order to earn a certified public accountant license in Oklahoma, applicants must meet the following Oklahoma CPA license requirements.
Minimum experience requirement
- One year of accounting experience is required, consisting of full-time employment that is no less than one year and no fewer than 2,000 hours.
- Experience is defined by the board by rule and must include providing a type of service or advice involving:
- Management advisory
- Financial advisory
- Consulting skills
- Must be satisfied through work experience in government, industry, academia or public practice, all of which must be verified by a certificate or license holder or an individual approved by the board.
Every applicant for the certificate of certified public accountant or license of public accountant must provide evidence of successful completion of an ethics examination prescribed by the board.
Oklahoma CPA license renewals
Oklahoma CPAs must renew their license every year by the last day of their birth month. The renewal process is open for three months. License will be revoked if Oklahoma CPAs have not registered by midnight of the last day of the month immediately following their birth month.
Oklahoma CPA CPE requirements
Continuing professional education (CPE) must be completed in the cycle of January 1 - December 31 annually. All CPAs must complete at least 120 hours of CPE within a three-year period with completion of not less than 20 hours of continuing professional education in any year.