Wisconsin CPA requirements
Ready to become a CPA in Wisconsin? Your first step is to check the Wisconsin CPA requirements, since the Wisconsin Board of Accountancy will ultimately license you. This page serves as a resource for Wisconsin's CPA and CPE requirements. Always consult with Wisconsin's Board of Accountancy for the most current information.
CPA Exam requirements in Wisconsin
Getting a CPA in each state mandates different requirements for taking the CPA Exam. The CPA Exam requirements in Wisconsin are detailed below.
Minimum Wisconsin CPA education requirements
All CPA Exam candidates in Wisconsin must have a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. CPA Exam requirements in Wisconsin also mandate candidates to complete 150 semester hours in specific course subjects, including:
- 24 hours in accounting beyond the introductory level covering:
- Financial accounting
- Cost or managerial accounting
- Accounting information system
- 24 hours in business and economics courses other than accounting
Wisconsin CPA license requirements
In order to earn a certified public accountant license in Wisconsin, applicants must meet the following requirements.
Minimum experience requirement
One year of public accounting experience or its equivalent as determined by the board. Experience may consist of providing any type of services or advice using accounting, attestation, compilation, management advisory, financial advisory, tax, or related consulting skills.
Must successfully pass an open book professional ethics examination on statutes and rules governing the practice of public accounting in Wisconsin. The passing grade on the professional ethics examination is 80.
Wisconsin CPA license renewals
Wisconsin CPAs must renew their license every two years. The cycle occurs January 1 - December 31 biennially.
Wisconsin CPE requirements for CPA
Continuing professional education (CPE) hours must be completed in the two calendar years prior to the year during which a license is to be renewed. All CPAs must complete no less than 80 hours of CPE credits that comply with the Wisconsin Board of Accountancy rules during the two-year period preceding renewal. These credits must include:
- At least 20 CPE credits completed during each 12-month period of each compliance period.
- Three CPE hours in ethics.
- Requirements reduced by one-half for a compliance period during which a CPA is initially licensed during the first year of such compliance period, and do not apply to a compliance period during which a CPA is initially licensed during the second year of such compliance period.
- Maximum of 40 carryover hours per year.