After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the nature and process of decision making, including the barriers to effective decision making and techniques to improve decision making
- Define and recognize the characteristics of departmentalism, span of control, line and staff authority, classical theory of organization and management, matrix management, centralization/decentralization and reengineering
- Recognize the characteristics of an effective organization, including sources of power, delegation of authority, managing change, organizational culture, and multinational/diversity issues
- Recognize the characteristics of effective organization of jobs and teams
- Identify the issues related to staffing and managing human resources
- Recognize the characteristics of various leadership styles
- Identify the various motivation theories and methods
- Define and recognize the various communication models, media for communications and how to improve communications
Tim Gearty is the National Director and Editor-in-Chief for the world’s largest CPA training program, Becker CPA Review. In addition to his editorial leadership, Tim is also Becker's National Lead Instructor, whose taped lectures are seen in over 325 locations throughout the world. Tim is a nationally recognized expert and speaker on a variety of accounting and tax topics, and has appeared as keynote speaker for several Fortune 100 companies as well as many national associations. He has frequently been called upon over the past twenty years to present accounting and tax topics to large groups, organizations, and corporations, accounting firms and in legal proceedings. Tim is a partner in Gearty & McIntyre, LLP, CPA, a firm which has developed a reputation as a specialist in business advisory services, litigation support and forensic accounting. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Society of Public Accountants as well as a trustee of that organization. He holds a BS in Accounting from Fairleigh Dickinson University, and both a MBA in Finance and Law Degree (JD) from Seton Hall University. Tim is a member of the New Jersey and American Bar Associations.
Michael (“Mike”) Brown’s extensive experience confirms his presence as a leader in the accounting community—with a commitment for student success and a passion for teaching. For nearly 15 years, Mike has been a senior national instructor with Becker Professional Education. He has reached 167,000 individual students—just since February of 2019—in Becker’s CPA and CMA Review courses and countless more through his presentations at conferences, firms, universities and in the online community. Mike’s teaching is enhanced by his vast accounting experience in many industries, including manufacturing, financial, retail, real estate and service. In addition to the CPA Review, CMA Review and CPE courses he teaches at Becker, Mike is an adjunct professor in accounting at Franklin University. He also recently completed a term on the Beta Alpha Psi Board of Directors. Mike graduated from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Science in Commerce and a Master of Science in Accounting. He is a licensed CPA in the State of North Carolina, currently residing in Raleigh with his wife and two children.
Becker Professional Education Sponsor I.D. Numbers NASBA: 107294, New York: 002087, New Jersey: 20CE00226700, Texas: 009580, Ohio: CPE.186, Illinois 158.002405, Pennsylvania: PX177823