Cybersecurity: Understanding social engineering and its impact on data security
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Define social engineering and discuss why social engineering works.
- Discuss the history of the con-artist and its role in social engineering.
- Discuss the types of social engineering.
- Discuss the life cycle of social engineering.
- Review historical social engineering cases and discuss ways to have prevented them.
- Review applicable social engineering laws.
- Discuss tips to help avoid becoming a victim.
Kelly Richmond Pope is an associate professor at DePaul University in Chicago where she teaches financial, managerial and forensic accounting. In 2018, Pope became a TED speaker with her impactful and timely TED Talk entitled “How whistleblowers shape history.” Her research has been published in the Behavioral Research in Accounting, Auditing: A Journal of Theory & Practice, Journal of Business Ethics, The CPA Journal and WebCPA. She has a PhD in accounting from Virginia Tech University and is a licensed CPA.
Becker Professional Education Sponsor I.D. Numbers NASBA: 107294, New York: 002087, New Jersey: 20CE00226700, Texas: 009580, Ohio: CPE.186, Illinois 158.002405, Pennsylvania: PX177823